Serving1
Serving2
Serving1
Serving2


Updates:




For all the events and more details visit Information page




The Serving Room



Before the addition of the Billiard Room, the Serving Room was the main entrance to the house. This room, the Dining Room, Study and the rooms above them are the oldest part of the house, substantially altered and partly rebuilt by Sir John Coke in 1629-31. In Sir John's time, the front door led into a traditional 'screens passage' separating the Great Hall (now the Dining Room) from the buttery, which had a staircase down to the cellar. The kitchen was (and still is) beyond the door on the left hand side of the room.


The partition between the buttery and the passage was removed later in the 17th century to form the present room, which has panelling typical of the late 17th or early 18th century. The 'screen' was a partition between the passage and the Dining Room (link to: Dining Room page), and the remains of it may still exist in the wall between the Serving Room (link to: Serving Room page) and Dining Rooms. Sir John directed that it should be eight feet high or somewhat more, 'handsomely wrought without carving or curious charge', with two doors through it.


A William IV mahogany table, two cabinets containing Chinese Imari porcelain, some early Derby porcelain on top of the cabinets, made distinctive by the matching ice coolers are some of the furniture items in the Serving Room.




Visitors

History of Melbourne Hall

Gardens